The Resource How to survive a plague : the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS
- How to survive a plague : the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS
- Title remainder
- the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS
- Statement of responsibility
- David France
- "From the creator of and inspired by the seminal documentary of the same name--an Oscar nominee--the definitive history of the successful battle to halt the AIDS epidemic, and the powerful, heroic stories of the gay activists who refused to die without a fight. Intimately reported, this is the story of the men and women who, watching their friends and lovers fall, ignored by public officials, religious leaders, and the nation at large, and confronted with shame and hatred, chose to fight for their right to live. We witness the founding of ACT UP and TAG (Treatment Action Group), the rise of an underground drug market in opposition to the prohibitively expensive (and sometimes toxic) AZT, and the gradual movement toward a lifesaving medical breakthrough. With his unparalleled access to this community David France illuminates the lives of extraordinary characters, including the closeted Wall Street trader-turned-activist; the high school dropout who found purpose battling pharmaceutical giants in New York; the South African physician who helped establish the first officially recognized buyers' club at the height of the epidemic; and the public relations executive fighting to save his own life for the sake of his young daughter. Expansive yet richly detailed, this is an insider's account of a pivotal moment in the history of American civil rights"--
- "A history of AIDS activism in New York in the early years of the plague"--
- Baillie Gifford Prize for Non-Fiction, 2017.
- Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Nonfiction, 2017
- New York Times Notable Book, 2016
- Stonewall Book Awards: Israel Fishman Non-fiction Award, 2017.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- F73 2016
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of How to survive a plague : the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work How to survive a plague : the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/xtOQxRs7wxM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/xtOQxRs7wxM/">How to survive a plague : the inside story of how citizens and science tamed AIDS</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...