The Resource Jazz day : the making of a famous photograph
- Jazz day : the making of a famous photograph
- Statement of responsibility
- Roxane Orgill ; illustrated by Francis Vallejo
- Harlem (New York, N.Y.) -- History -- 20th century -- Poetry.
- African Americans -- Music | History and criticism -- Poetry.
- Jazz -- New York (State) | New York -- History and criticism -- Juvenile poetry.
- Picture books for children.
- Jazz -- History and criticim -- Poetry.
- African Americans -- Music | History and criticism -- Juvenile poetry.
- Jazz musicians -- New York (State) | New York -- Juvenile poetry.
- Jazz musicians -- Poetry
- Harlem (New York, N.Y.) -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile poetry.
- When Esquire magazine planned an issue to salute the American jazz scene in 1958, graphic designer Art Kane pitched a crazy idea: how about gathering a group of beloved jazz musicians and photographing them? He didn't own a good camera, didn't know if any musicians would show up, and insisted on setting up the shoot in front of a Harlem brownstone. Could he pull it off? In a captivating collection of poems, Roxane Orgill steps into the frame of Harlem 1958, bringing to life the musicians' mischief and quirks, their memorable style, and the vivacious atmosphere of a Harlem block full of kids on a hot summer's day. Francis Vallejo's vibrant, detailed, and wonderfully expressive paintings do loving justice to the larger-than-life quality of jazz musicians of the era. Includes bios of several of the fifty-seven musicians, an author's note, sources, a bibliography, and a foldout of Art Kane's famous photograph
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book, 2016.
- Parents' Choice Award for Non-Fiction, 2016
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2016
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2017
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- J39 2016
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Jazz day : the making of a famous photograph
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Jazz day : the making of a famous photograph
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/vgPHSS45O8A/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/vgPHSS45O8A/">Jazz day : the making of a famous photograph</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...