The Resource 33 men : inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners
- 33 men : inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners
- Title remainder
- inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners
- Statement of responsibility
- Jonathan Franklin
- Title variation
- Thirty-three men
- CopiapÃ3 Region (Chile) -- History -- 21st century.
- CopiapÃ3 Region (Chile) -- Biography.
- Copper mines and mining -- Accidents -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region.
- Survival after airplane accidents, shipwrecks, etc. -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region.
- Gold mines and mining -- Accidents -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region.
- Mine rescue work -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region.
- Copper miners -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region -- Biography.
- Gold miners -- Chile | CopiapÃ3 Region -- Biography.
- This is the account of the 2010 San Jose mine rescue in Chile, after one of the longest human entrapments in history. With his coveted "rescue pass," the author was permitted access far past the police perimeter. It would be seventeen long days before the miners were discovered alive and the world press descended. It would be another fifty-two days before the miners were all successfully rescued. For eight weeks, the author conducted interviews with families, rescue workers, the mine psychologist, drill operators, scientists, and the architects of the rescue operation. He reported from an improvised office on the mountainside that was the nerve center of the rescue operation, in a makeshift container. Far below, families and loved ones lived in a cluster of tents known as Camp Hope. While the men were still underground, the author interviewed them via a crude telephone; he helped send vital supplies to them via the "paloma" (pigeon). And when the first miners were rescued on October 13, he had the first media contact with the recently freed men in a series of interviews from inside the field hospital. The book reads like a thriller, toggling between the dramatic chaos belowground as the men realized that their escape routes were blocked and that their shelter held only enough rations for ten men to survive seventy-two hours; and the desperate rescue efforts aboveground, the massive campaign from the top level of the Chilean government to enlist and unite brilliant minds from around the world in the San Jose rescue effort. In never before revealed detail, the author tells a story of the improbable survival of the miners, trapped some 2,200 feet underground for sixty-nine days. He also chronicles what had to go right, an impossibly long list, to rescue them all alive. The death-defying rescue demanded endurance, ingenuity, and most of all, unified fronts above and below ground. To be sure, none of this came easily. Based on more than 110 interviews with the miners, their families, and the rescue team, this account combines an eye for detail and dialogue with the remarkable human interest story of these miners struggling to survive in a savage environment
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .F73 2011
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of 33 men : inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 33 men : inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/v5FIBe9ig00/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/v5FIBe9ig00/">33 men : inside the miraculous survival and dramatic rescue of the Chilean miners</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...