The Resource The hour of land : a personal topography of America's national parks
- The hour of land : a personal topography of America's national parks
- Title remainder
- a personal topography of America's national parks
- Statement of responsibility
- Terry Tempest Williams
- Williams, Terry Tempest
- Illustrated works
- Natural history -- United States.
- Landscapes -- Social aspects -- United States.
- Human ecology -- United States -- Philosophy.
- National parks and reserves -- United States.
- National parks and reserves -- Social aspects -- United States.
- United States -- Environmental conditions.
- Travel writing
- Williams, Terry Tempest -- Travel -- United States.
- National parks and reserves -- United States -- Pictorial works.
- Pictorial works
- "A personal, lyrical, and idiosyncratic ode to our national parks"--
- "For years, America's national parks have provided public breathing spaces in a world in which such spaces are steadily disappearing, which is why close to 300 million people visit the parks each year. Now, to honor the centennial of the National Park Service, Terry Tempest Williams, the author of the beloved memoir When Women Were Birds, returns with The Hour of Land, a literary celebration of our national parks, what they mean to us, and what we mean to them. Through twelve carefully chosen parks, from Yellowstone in Wyoming to Acadia in Maine to Big Bend in Texas, Tempest Williams creates a series of lyrical portraits that illuminate the unique grandeur of each place while delving into what it means to shape a landscape with its own evolutionary history into something of our own making. Part memoir, part natural history, and part social critique, The Hour of Land is a meditation and manifesto on why wild lands matter to the soul of America. Our national parks stand at the intersection of humanity and wildness, and there's no one better than Tempest Williams to guide us there. Beautifully illustrated, with evocative black-and-white images by some of our finest photographers, from Lee Friedlander to Sally Mann to Sebastiao Salgado, The Hour of Land will be a collector's item as well as a seminal work of environmental writing and criticism about some of America's most treasured landmarks"--
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2016
- Green Prize for Sustainable Literature: Adult Nonfiction, 2017.
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .W54 2016
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
- a personal topography of Americas national parks
ContextContext of The hour of land : a personal topography of America's national parks
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The hour of land : a personal topography of America's national parks
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/tacu5xfNGxc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/tacu5xfNGxc/">The hour of land : a personal topography of America's national parks</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...