The Resource Lafayette in the somewhat United States
- Lafayette in the somewhat United States
- Statement of responsibility
- Sarah Vowell
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Participation, French.
- Generals -- France -- Biography.
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834 -- Influence.
- France -- Politics and government -- 1789-1900.
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834.
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834
- Generals -- United States -- Biography.
- Statesmen -- France -- Biography.
- "Chronicling General Lafayette's years in Washington's army, Vowell reflects on the ideals of the American Revolution versus the reality of the Revolutionary War. Riding shotgun with Lafayette, Vowell swerves from the high-minded debates of Independence Hall to the frozen wasteland of Valley Forge, from bloody battlefields to the Palace of Versailles, bumping into John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Lord Cornwallis, Benjamin Franklin, Marie Antoinette and various kings, Quakers and redcoats along the way. Drawn to the patriots' war out of a lust for glory, Enlightenment ideas and the traditional French hatred for the British, young Lafayette crossed the Atlantic expecting to join forces with an undivided people, encountering instead fault lines between the Continental Congress and the Continental Army, rebel and loyalist inhabitants, and a conspiracy to fire George Washington, the one man holding together the rickety, seemingly doomed patriot cause. While Vowell's yarn is full of the bickering and infighting that marks the American past--and present--her telling of the Revolution is just as much a story of friendship: between Washington and Lafayette, between the Americans and their French allies and, most of all between Lafayette and the American people" --
- Life stories -- Law and order | Military leaders
- French in America
- Revolutions -- United States
- History writing -- Wars and conflicts -- Revolutionary War (America)
- Generals -- France -- Biography
- American Revolution, 1775-1783
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- French participation
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- V69 2015
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of Lafayette in the somewhat United States
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lafayette in the somewhat United States
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/qHXUHlxurU0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/qHXUHlxurU0/">Lafayette in the somewhat United States</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...