The Resource The problem of slavery in the age of emancipation
- The problem of slavery in the age of emancipation
- Statement of responsibility
- by David Brion Davis
- Free African Americans -- History -- 19th century.
- Slaves -- Emancipation -- United States.
- Antislavery movements -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Slavery -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- African Americans -- Colonization -- Africa.
- American Colonization Society.
- American Colonization Society
- Antislavery movements -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- "From the revered historian-winner of nearly every award given in his field-the long-awaited conclusion of his magisterial three-volume history of slavery in Western culture that has been more than fifty years in the making. David Brion Davis is one of the foremost historians of our time, and in this final volume in his monumental trilogy on slavery in Western culture he offers highly original, authoritative, and penetrating insight into what slavery and emancipation meant to Americans. He explores how the Haitian revolution terrified and inspired white and black Americans respectively, and offers a commanding analysis of the complex and misunderstood significance of "colonization"-the project to move freed slaves back to Africa-to members of both races and all political persuasions. Davis vividly portrays the dehumanizing impact of slavery, as well as the generally unrecognized importance of freed slaves to abolition. And he explores the influence of religion on American ideas about emancipation. Above all, he captures the ways in which America wrestled with the knotty problem of moving forward into an age of emancipation. This is a landmark work: a brilliant conclusion to one of the great works of American history"--
- Anti-slavery movements -- History -- 19th century
- History writing -- United States -- African American | Enslavement
- Free African Americans -- History -- 19th century
- Slaves -- United States -- Emancipation
- Slavery -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- Anti-slavery movements -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century
- African Americans -- Colonization -- Africa
- National Book Critics Circle Award for Non-Fiction, 2014.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .D24 2014
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of The problem of slavery in the age of emancipation
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The problem of slavery in the age of emancipation
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/p_hTzzqfUWs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/p_hTzzqfUWs/">The problem of slavery in the age of emancipation</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...