The Resource The dead hand : the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy
- The dead hand : the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy
- Title remainder
- the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy
- Statement of responsibility
- David E. Hoffman
- Soviet Union -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- Cold War -- Influence.
- Reagan, Ronald -- Political and social views.
- Arms race -- History -- 20th century.
- Cold War.
- Gorbachev, Mikhail Sergeevich, 1931- -- Political and social views.
- Nuclear disarmament -- History -- 20th century.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Soviet Union.
- During the Cold War, superpowers amassed nuclear arsenals containing the explosive power of one million Hiroshimas. The Soviet Union secretly plotted to create the "Dead Hand," a system designed to launch an automatic retaliatory nuclear strike on the United States, and developed a fearsome biological warfare machine. President Ronald Reagan, hoping to awe the Soviets into submission, pushed hard for the creation of space-based missile defenses. This, the first full account of how the arms race finally ended, provides an unprecedented look at the inner motives and secret decisions of each side. Drawing on top-secret documents from deep inside the Kremlin, memoirs, and interviews in both Russia and the United States, David Hoffman introduces the scientists, soldiers, diplomats, and spies who saw the world sliding toward disaster and tells the gripping story of how Reagan, Gorbachev, and many others struggled to bring the madness to an end.--From publisher description
- Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction, 2010.
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .H645 2009
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of The dead hand : the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The dead hand : the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/pTRzf2J4EUU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/pTRzf2J4EUU/">The dead hand : the untold story of the Cold War arms race and its dangerous legacy</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...