The Resource Gertrude Bell : queen of the desert, shaper of nations
- Gertrude Bell : queen of the desert, shaper of nations
- Title remainder
- queen of the desert, shaper of nations
- Statement of responsibility
- Georgina Howell
- Bell, Gertrude Lowthian, 1868-1926
- Women Asianists -- Biography.
- Women archaeologists -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Colonial administrators -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Women travelers -- Middle East -- Biography.
- Colonial administrators -- Middle East -- Biography.
- Bell, Gertrude Lowthian, 1868-1926.
- She has been called the female Lawrence of Arabia, which, while not inaccurate, fails to give Gertrude Bell her due. She was at one time the most powerful woman in the British Empire: a nation builder, the driving force behind the creation of modern-day Iraq. Born into privilege in 1868, Bell turned her back on Victorian society, choosing to read history at Oxford and going on to become an archaeologist, spy, Arabist, linguist, author, poet, photographer, and mountaineer. She traveled the globe several times, but her passion was the desert--her vast knowledge of the region made her indispensable to the British government during World War I. As an army major on the front lines in Mesopotamia, she supported the creation of an autonomous Arab nation for Iraq, promoting and manipulating the election of King Faisal to the throne and helping to draw the borders of the fledgling state.--From publisher description
- ALA Notable Book, 2008.
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- H69 2007
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Gertrude Bell : queen of the desert, shaper of nations
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Gertrude Bell : queen of the desert, shaper of nations
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/ohFDfXwgApQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/ohFDfXwgApQ/">Gertrude Bell : queen of the desert, shaper of nations</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...