The Resource A different kind of daughter : the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight
- A different kind of daughter : the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight
- Title remainder
- the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight
- Statement of responsibility
- Maria Toorpakai with Katharine Holstein
- Women -- Pakistan -- Social conditions.
- Women squash players -- Pakistan -- Biography.
- Pakistan -- Social conditions.
- Toorpakai, Maria, 1990-
- Escapes -- Pakistan.
- Women athletes -- Pakistan -- Social conditions.
- Squash players -- Pakistan -- Biography.
- Women's rights -- Pakistan.
- Passing (Identity) -- Pakistan.
- "'Maria Toorpakai is a true inspiration, a pioneer for millions of other women struggling to pave their own paths to autonomy, fulfillment, and genuine personhood'--Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and And the Mountains Echoed. Maria Toorpakai hails from Pakistan's violently oppressive northwest tribal region, where the idea of women playing sports is considered haram--un-Islamic, forbidden--and girls rarely leave their homes. But she did, passing as a boy in order to play the sports she loved, thus becoming a lightning rod of freedom in her country's fierce battle over women's rights. A DIFFERENT KIND OF DAUGHTER tell of Maria's harrowing journey to play the sport she knew was her destiny, first living as a boy and roaming the violent back alleys of the frontier city of Peshawar, rising to become the number one female squash player in Pakistan. For Maria, squash was more than liberation--it was salvation. But it was also a death sentence, thrusting her into the national spotlight and the crosshairs of the Taliban, who wanted Maria and her family dead. Maria knew her only chance of survival was to flee the country. Enter Jonathon Power, the first North American to earn the title of top squash player in the world, and the only person to heed Maria's plea for help. Recognizing her determination and talent, Jonathon invited Maria to train and compete internationally in Canada. After years of living on the run from the Taliban, Maria packed up and left the only place she had ever known to move halfway across the globe and pursue her dream. Now Maria is well on the way to becoming a world champion as she continues to be a voice for oppressed women everywhere"--
- Society and culture -- Gender | Women
- Escapes -- Pakistan
- Squash players -- Pakistan -- Biography
- Politics and global affairs -- Civil and human rights
- Oppression (Psychology)
- Pakistan -- Social conditions
- Life stories -- Sports | Athletes
- Women squash players -- Pakistan -- Biography
- Women athletes -- Pakistan -- Social conditions
- Women -- Pakistan -- Social conditions
- Autobiographies and memoirs
- Passing (Identity)
- Women's rights -- Pakistan
- Biography type
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A3 2016
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of A different kind of daughter : the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work A different kind of daughter : the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/mi2W97d_6-M/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/mi2W97d_6-M/">A different kind of daughter : the girl who hid from the Taliban in plain sight</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...