The Resource The handmaid's tale
- The handmaid's tale
- Statement of responsibility
- by Margaret Atwood
- This look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction
- In this Orwellian dramatization, religion becomes a tool of repression and social control to force women into the roles of stay-at-home wives, domestic staff, prostitutes, or surrogate mothers. They have no rights to their bodies or property and are completely dependent upon men. Those women who have had at least one child find themselves forced into the role of breeding machine, producing children for childless couples. References to 20th-century issues abound, including Agent Orange, abortion, women's rights, and escape attempts to Canada
- Commonwealth Writers' Prize, Caribbean and Canada: Best Book, 1987.
- Governor General's Literary Award for English-Language Fiction, 1985.
- Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Fiction, 1986.
- Arthur C. Clarke Award, 1987.
- YALSA 100 Best Books, 1950-2000
- YALSA Outstanding Book for the College Bound, 1999.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- H3 2017
- Literary form
- Series statement
- Thorndike Press large print core
- Target audience
ContextContext of The handmaid's tale
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The handmaid's tale
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/mPEnpQpTiHA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/mPEnpQpTiHA/">The handmaid's tale</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...