The Resource The inheritance : a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimer's disease
- The inheritance : a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimer's disease
- Statement of responsibility
- Niki Kapsambelis
- Kapsambelis, Niki -- Family.
- Alzheimer's disease -- Patients | Rehabilitation -- Popular works.
- Alzheimer's disease -- Patients | Family relationships -- United States -- Case studies.
- Kapsambelis, Niki -- Family
- Alzheimer's disease -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
- Kapsambelis, Niki.
- "An inspiring race against time: The courageous, hopeful story of the one family who may hold the key to finding a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Every sixty-nine seconds, someone is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Of the top ten killers, it is the only disease for which there is no cure or treatment. For most people, there is nothing that they can do to fight back. But one family is doing all they can. The DeMoe family has the most devastating form of the disease that there is: early onset Alzheimer's, an inherited genetic mutation that causes the disease in 100 percent of cases, and has a 50 percent chance of being passed onto the next generation. Of the six DeMoe children whose father had it, five have inherited the gene; the sixth, Karla, has inherited responsibility for all of them. But rather than give up in the face of such news, the DeMoes have agreed to spend their precious, abbreviated years as part of a worldwide study that could utterly change the landscape of Alzheimer's research and offers the brightest hope for future treatments--and possibly a cure. Drawing from several years of in-depth research with this charming and upbeat family, journalist Niki Kapsambelis tells the story of Alzheimer's through the humanizing lens of these ordinary people made extraordinary by both their terrible circumstances and their bravery. Their tale is intertwined with the dramatic narrative history of the disease, the cutting-edge research that brings us ever closer to a possible cure, and the accounts of the extraordinary doctors spearheading these groundbreaking studies. From the oil fields of North Dakota to the jungles of Colombia, this incredible narrative redefines courage in the face of one of the most pervasive and mysterious pandemics of our time"--
- Biography type
- collective biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- genealogical tables
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .K37 2017
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
- a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimers disease
ContextContext of The inheritance : a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimer's disease
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The inheritance : a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimer's disease
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/azzfcSyZ4lY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/azzfcSyZ4lY/">The inheritance : a family on the front lines of the battle against Alzheimer's disease</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...