The Resource Almost astronauts : 13 women who dared to dream
- Almost astronauts : 13 women who dared to dream
- Title remainder
- 13 women who dared to dream
- Statement of responsibility
- Tanya Lee Stone
- Sex discrimination against women -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature.
- Women astronauts -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature.
- Project Mercury (U.S.) -- History -- Juvenile literature.
- Women astronauts -- United States -- Biography | Juvenile literature.
- What does it take to be an astronaut? Excellence at flying, courage, intelligence, resistance to stress, top physical shape, any checklist would include these. But when America created NASA in 1958, there was another unspoken rule: you had to be a man. Here is the tale of thirteen women who proved that they were not only as tough as the toughest man but also brave enough to challenge the government. They were blocked by prejudice, jealousy, and the scrawled note of one of the most powerful men in Washington. But even though the Mercury 13 women did not make it into space, they did not lose, for their example empowered young women to take their place in the sky, piloting jets and commanding space capsules. Almost Astronauts is the story of thirteen true pioneers of the space age
- Space exploration
- History books -- Women
- Biographies -- Science and medicine | Astronauts and pilots
- Project Mercury
- Sexism -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- Women astronauts -- History
- Women astronauts -- Biography
- Women's rights -- History -- 20th century
- Collective biographies
- History books -- United States -- Twentieth century | 1960s
- Women -- History
- Narrative nonfiction for kids and teens
- Science -- Astronomy and space | Space exploration and travel
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2010
- Flora Stieglitz Straus Award, 2010.
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal, 2010.
- Amelia Bloomer List, 2010
- YALSA Best Books for Young Adults, 2010
- Biography type
- collective biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- S79 2008
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Almost astronauts : 13 women who dared to dream
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Almost astronauts : 13 women who dared to dream
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/VzfcP-9UB1s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/VzfcP-9UB1s/">Almost astronauts : 13 women who dared to dream</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...