The Resource No friends but the mountains : dispatches from the world's violent highlands
- No friends but the mountains : dispatches from the world's violent highlands
- Statement of responsibility
- Judith Matloff
- Ethnic conflict -- History.
- Military history, Modern -- 20th century
- Uplands -- Political aspects | History.
- Mountains -- Political aspects | History.
- Violence -- History.
- Mountain life -- Political aspects | History.
- Matloff, Judith -- Travel.
- Military history, Modern -- 21st century
- Social conflict -- History.
- Civil war -- History.
- Travel writing
- "A veteran war correspondent journeys to remote mountain communities across the globe--from Albania and Chechnya to Nepal and Colombia--to investigate why so many conflicts occur at great heights. Mountainous regions are home to only ten percent of the world's population yet host a strikingly disproportionate share of the world's conflicts. Mountains provide a natural refuge for those who want to elude authority, and their remoteness has allowed archaic practices to persist well into our globalized era. As Judith Matloff shows, the result is a combustible mix we in the lowlands cannot afford to ignore. Traveling to conflict zones across the world, she introduces us to Albanian teenagers involved in ancient blood feuds; Mexican peasants hunting down violent poppy growers; and Jihadists who have resisted the Russian military for decades. At every stop, Matloff reminds us that the drugs, terrorism, and instability cascading down the mountainside affect us all. A work of political travel writing in the vein of Ryszard Kapuscinski and Robert Kaplan, No Friends but the Mountains is an indelible portrait of the conflicts that have unexpectedly shaped our world"--
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .M38 2017
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
- dispatches from the worlds violent highlands
ContextContext of No friends but the mountains : dispatches from the world's violent highlands
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work No friends but the mountains : dispatches from the world's violent highlands
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/Uvc7XJm9lig/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/Uvc7XJm9lig/">No friends but the mountains : dispatches from the world's violent highlands</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...