The Resource Breathless : an American girl in Paris
- Breathless : an American girl in Paris
- Title remainder
- an American girl in Paris
- Statement of responsibility
- Nancy K. Miller
- Miller, Nancy K, 1941-
- Paris (France) -- Biography.
- Americans -- France | Paris -- Biography.
- Coming of age -- Case studies.
- TRAVEL / Special Interest / Literary
- Miller, Nancy K, 1941- -- Relations with men.
- Autonomy -- Case studies.
- Young women -- New York (State) | New York -- Biography.
- Paris (France) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century.
- Young women -- France | Paris -- Biography.
- "In the early 1960s, most middle-class American women in their twenties had their lives laid out for them: marriage, children, and life in the suburbs. Most, but not all. Breathless is the story of a girl who represents those who rebelled against conventional expectations. Paris was a magnet for those eager to resist domesticity, and like many young women of the decade, Nancy K. Miller was enamored of everything French--from perfume and HermÃ ̈s scarves to the writing of Simone de Beauvoir and the New Wave films of Jeanne Moreau. After graduating from Barnard College in 1961, Miller set out for a year in Paris, with a plan to take classes at the Sorbonne and live out a great romantic life inspired by the movies. After a string of sexual misadventures, she gave up her short-lived freedom and married an American expatriate who promised her a lifetime of three-star meals and five-star hotels. But her husband turned out to be a con man whose promises were lies, and she had to leave Paris and her dreams behind. Upon returning to New York, with more than half of her twenties behind her, Miller was determined to start over. In an era of Vietnam anti-war protests, student unrest, and sexual liberation, she sought to become a new woman: autonomous and creative at a time when women were only expected to look pretty and smile. This stunning memoir chronicles a young woman's coming-of-age tale, and offers a glimpse into the intimate lives of girls before feminism"--
- Happiness in women
- Men/women relations
- Independence in women
- Travel Writing -- Living Abroad
- Young women -- Biography
- Sexual freedom
- Paris (France) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century
- Americans in France
- Coming-of-age stories
- Life stories -- Identity | Gender
- Autobiographies and memoirs
- Biography type
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A3 2013
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of Breathless : an American girl in Paris
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Breathless : an American girl in Paris
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/Rc6d-L_Mllk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/Rc6d-L_Mllk/">Breathless : an American girl in Paris</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...