The Resource The wicked boy : the mystery of a Victorian child murderer
- The wicked boy : the mystery of a Victorian child murderer
- Statement of responsibility
- Kate Summerscale
- Juvenile homicide -- England | London -- History -- 19th century.
- Murder -- Investigation -- England | London -- History -- 19th century.
- Coombes, Nattie -- Childhood and youth.
- Coombes, Robert -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Coombes, Robert -- Childhood and youth.
- Coombes, Robert, 1882-1949
- Coombes, Nattie -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- True crime stories
- In East London in the summer of 1895, Robert Coombes (age thirteen) and his brother Nattie (age twelve) were arrested for matricide and sent for trial at the Old Bailey. Robert confessed to having stabbed his mother, but his lawyers argued that he was insane. The judge sentenced him to detention in Broadmoor, the most infamous criminal lunatic asylum in the land. Shockingly, Broadmoor turned out to be the beginning of a new life for Robert. At a time of great tumult and uncertainty, Robert Coombes's case crystallized contemporary anxieties about the education of the working classes, the dangers of pulp fiction, and evolving theories of criminality, childhood, and insanity. With riveting detail and rich atmosphere, Summerscale re-creates this terrible crime and its aftermath, uncovering an extraordinary story of man's capacity to overcome the past. --
- Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Fact Crime, 2017.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- S86 2016b
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of The wicked boy : the mystery of a Victorian child murderer
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The wicked boy : the mystery of a Victorian child murderer
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/OUMYaiAW3xA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/OUMYaiAW3xA/">The wicked boy : the mystery of a Victorian child murderer</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...