The Resource Arctic labyrinth : the quest for the Northwest Passage, Glyn Williams
- Arctic labyrinth : the quest for the Northwest Passage, Glyn Williams
- Title remainder
- the quest for the Northwest Passage
- Statement of responsibility
- Glyn Williams
- Originally published: London : Allen Lane, 2009
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 387-413) and index
- Prologue : 'There is no land unhabitable nor sea innavigable' -- 'All is not golde that glistereth' : the expeditions of Martin Frobisher -- 'The passage ismost probable'; 'there is no passage nor hope of passage' : the views of John Davis and William Baffin -- 'A sea to the westward' : the discovery of Hudson Bay -- 'To seek a needle in a bottle of hay' : the rival voyages of Luke Foxe and Thomas James -- 'Northward to find out the Straits if Anian' : the tragic voyage of James Knight -- 'The maritime philosophers stone' : the vision of Arthur Dobbs -- 'I left the print of my feet in blood' : Samuel Hearne and the speculative geographers -- 'No information could be had from maps' : James Cook's final voage -- 'Insults in the name of science to modern navigation' : fantasy voyages through the Northwest Passage -- 'Our prospects were truly exhilarating' : the gateway of Lancaster Sound -- 'The man who ate his boots' : John Franklin goes overland -- 'This set us all castle-building' : the later voyages of Edward Parry -- 'The very borders of the grave' : the ordeal of the Rosses -- 'To fill up the small blank on the northern charts' : the explorations of Back, Dease and Simpson -- 'So little now remains to be done' : the last voyage of John Franklin -- 'Franklin's winter quarters!' : clues on the ice -- 'The Northwest Passage discovered!' : the Pacific approach of McClure and Collinson -- 'A thorough downright catastrophe' : the search expedition of Edward Belcher -- 'They fell down and died as they walked' : the fate of Franklin's crews -- 'My dream since childhood' : Roald Amundsen and the passage -- 'I felt that I was on hallowed ground' : the voyages of Henry Larsen -- Epilogue : the Northwest Passage and climate change
- Control code
- 24 cm.
- 1st University of California Press ed.
- xix, 439 p.,  p. of plates
- Isbn Type
- (cloth : alk. paper)
- Other physical details
- ill. (some col.), maps (some col.)
ContextContext of Arctic labyrinth : the quest for the Northwest Passage, Glyn Williams
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance Arctic labyrinth : the quest for the Northwest Passage, Glyn Williams
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/MICmrd-Dqmw/" typeof="WorkExample http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/MICmrd-Dqmw/">Arctic labyrinth : the quest for the Northwest Passage, Glyn Williams</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...