The Resource Hunger : a memoir of (my) body
- Hunger : a memoir of (my) body
- Statement of responsibility
- Roxane Gay
- "Gay has written ... about food and bodies, using her own emotional and psychological struggles as a means of exploring our shared anxieties over pleasure, consumption, appearance, and health. As a woman who describes her own body as 'wildly undisciplined,' Roxane understands the tension between desire and denial, between self-comfort and self-care." --
- The popular Tumblr blogger and best-selling author of Bad Feminist explores the devastating act of violence that triggered her personal challenges with food and body image, sharing advice for caring for oneself and eating in healthful and satisfying ways. --
- "'I ate and ate and ate in the hopes that if I made myself big, my body would be safe. I buried the girl I had been because she ran into all kinds of trouble. I tried to erase every memory of her but she is still there, somewhere. ... I was trapped in my body, one I made but barely recognized or understood. I was miserable, but I was safe.' In this intimate and searing memoir, ... bestselling author Roxane Gay addresses the experience of living in a body that she calls 'wildly undisciplined.' She casts an insightful and critical eye over her childhood, teens, and twenties--including the devastating act of violence that was a turning point in her young life--and brings readers into the present and the realities, pains, and joys of her daily life. With the bracing candor, vulnerability, and authority that have made her one of the most admired voices of her generation, Roxane explores what it means to be overweight in a time when the bigger you are, the less you are seen. Hunger is a deeply personal memoir from one of our finest writers, and it tells a story that hasn't yet been told but needs to be." --
- Self-esteem in women
- Society and culture -- Gender | Women
- Self-perception in women
- Weight control -- Psychological aspects
- Violence against women
- Food habits -- Psychological aspects
- Food writing -- Memoirs and biographies
- Body image
- Autobiographies and memoirs
- Feminists -- Biography
- Library Journal Best Books, 2017.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2017.
- ALA Notable Book, 2018.
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- G39 2017
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of Hunger : a memoir of (my) body
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Hunger : a memoir of (my) body
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/M8DK1t2e3m4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/M8DK1t2e3m4/">Hunger : a memoir of (my) body</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...