The Resource Beloved strangers : a memoir
- Beloved strangers : a memoir
- Title remainder
- a memoir
- Statement of responsibility
- Maria Chaudhuri
- Chaudhuri, Maria
- Dhaka (Bangladesh) -- Biography.
- Muslims -- United States -- Biography.
- Chaudhuri, Maria.
- Jersey City (N.J.) -- Biography.
- Young women -- Biography.
- Immigrants -- United States -- Biography.
- Coming of age.
- Belonging (Social psychology)
- Bangladeshi Americans -- Biography.
- Transnationalism -- Psychological aspects.
- "One of Maria Chaudhuri's early memories growing up in Dhaka was planning to run away with her friend Nadia. Home was not an especially unhappy place, but in Maria's family, joy was ephemeral. With a mother who yearned for the mountains and the solitariness and freedom to pursue her own dreams and career, and a charismatic but distant father who found it difficult to express emotion, they were never able to hold on to happiness for very long. Maria studied the Holy Book and said her daily prayers, yet struggled to reconcile her inner self with her faith and her family. She dreamed, like her mother, of unstitching the seam of her life. Her neighbor, Bablu, both excited and repulsed Maria by showing her a yellowing pornographic magazine, but Mala, a girl her own age who came to work in their house, with her wise eyes and wicked smile, made Maria dizzy with longing. When she moved to New England to attend college at eighteen Maria faced new opportunities and challenges, including meeting Yameen, a man who lived in Jersey City and wooed her, but was not what he seemed... From Dhaka to Jersey City, Beloved Strangers is a candid and moving account of growing up and a meditation on why people leave their homes and why they sometimes find it difficult to return. This unforgettable memoir will resonate with anyone carving out a place for herself in the world, straddling two cultures while trying to find a place to belong"--
- Young women -- Biography
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Bangladeshi Americans
- Adult books for young adults
- Family and Relationships -- Growing Up
- Immigrants -- Biography
- Muslims -- United States -- Biography
- Life stories -- Relationships | Growing up
- Identity (Psychology)
- Jersey City, New Jersey
- Autobiographies and memoirs
- Biography type
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- C47 2014
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Beloved strangers : a memoir
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Beloved strangers : a memoir
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/JVKBxtLXx8o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/JVKBxtLXx8o/">Beloved strangers : a memoir</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...