The Resource Akeelah and the bee
- Akeelah and the bee
- Statement of responsibility
- Lionsgate, 2929 Productions and Starbucks Entertainment present an Out of the Blue Entertainment and Reactor Films production in association with Cinema Gypsy Productions, Inc. ; produced by Laurence Fishburne, Sidney Ganis, Nancy Hult, Daniel Llewelyn, Michael Romersa ; written and directed by Doug Atchison
- Title variation
- Laurence Fishburne: Akeelah and the bee
- Children's -- Feature.
- Youth -- Feature.
- DVD recording for the hearing impaired.
- Amor a sÃ mismo en los niÃ±os (PsicologÃa) -- California | Los Ãngeles -- Teatro.
- Melodrama, American.
- Melodrama -- Feature.
- Spelling bees -- Drama.
- Feature films.
- Escolares -- California | Los Ãngeles -- Teatro.
- Self-esteem in children -- California | Los Angeles -- Drama.
- Children's films.
- School children -- California | Los Angeles -- Drama.
- Eleven year-old Akeelah Anderson's life is not easy: her father is dead, her mom ignores her, her brother runs with the local gangbangers. She is a smart girl, but her environment threatens to strangle her aspirations. Responding to a threat by her school's principal, Akeelah decides to participate in a spelling bee to avoid detention for her many absences. Much to her surprise and embarrassment, she wins. Her principal asks her to seek coaching from Dr. Larabee, an English professor, for the more prestigious regional bee. As the possibility of making it all the way to the Scripps National Spelling Bee looms, Akeelah could provide her community with someone to rally around and be proud of. First Akeelah has to overcome her insecurities, her distracting home life, and the knowledge that there is a field of more experienced and privileged fellow spellers
- Cataloging source
- Credits note
- Director of photography, David Mullen ; editor, Glenn Farr ; music, Aaron Zigman ; costume designer, Sharen Davis ; production designer, Warren Alan Young
- Dewey number
- Intended audience
- MPAA rating: PG; for some language
- Language note
- English dialogue, English or Spanish subtitles; closed-captioned
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A344534 2006
- Keke Palmer, Laurence Fishburne, Angela Bassett, Chris Armstrong
- Target audience
- live action
ContextContext of Akeelah and the bee
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Akeelah and the bee
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/F7c-r6kRExE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/F7c-r6kRExE/">Akeelah and the bee</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...