The Resource Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back
- Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back
- Title remainder
- a journey from East to West and back
- Statement of responsibility
- Janice P. Nimura
- East and West -- History.
- Japan -- Relations -- United States.
- Japanese -- United States -- Biography.
- Schoolgirls -- United States -- Biography.
- United States -- Relations -- Japan.
- Acculturation -- United States -- History.
- Women -- Education -- Japan -- History.
- Young women -- Japan -- Biography.
- Young women -- United States -- Biography.
- Samurai -- Family relationships | History.
- "In 1871, five young girls were sent by the Japanese government to the United States. Their mission: learn Western ways and return to help nurture a new generation of enlightened men to lead Japan. Raised in traditional samurai households during the turmoil of civil war, three of these unusual ambassadors-- Sutematsu Yamakawa, Shige Nagai, and Ume Tsuda-- grew up as typical American schoolgirls. Upon their arrival in San Francisco they became celebrities, their travels feted by newspapers across the nation. The passionate friendships they formed reveal an intimate world of cross-cultural fascination and connection. Ten years later, they returned to Japan-- a land grown foreign to them-- determined to revolutionize women's education. Based on in-depth archival research in Japan and in the United States, Daughters of the Samurai is beautifully, cinematically written, a fascinating lens through which to view an extraordinary historical moment"--Provided by publisher
- New York Times Notable Book, 2015
- Biography type
- contains biographical information
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- N484 2015
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/AuwTxqIMsl4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/AuwTxqIMsl4/">Daughters of the samurai : a journey from East to West and back</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...