The Resource Lincoln and the power of the press : the war for public opinion
- Lincoln and the power of the press : the war for public opinion
- Title remainder
- the war for public opinion
- Statement of responsibility
- Harold Holzer
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865.
- ï¿1⁄2Offentliche Meinung
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Relations with journalists.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Press coverage.
- Press and politics -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Relations with journalists
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Journalists.
- From his earliest days, Lincoln spoke to the public directly through the press. When war broke out and the nation was tearing itself apart, Lincoln authorized the most widespread censorship in the nation's history, closing down papers that were "disloyal" and even jailing or exiling editors who opposed enlistment or sympathized with secession. The telegraph, the new invention that made instant reporting possible, was moved to the office of Secretary of War Stanton to deny it to unfriendly newsmen. Holzer shows us politicized newspaper editors battling for power, and a masterly president using the press to speak directly to the people and shape the nation
- Mark Lynton History Prize, 2015.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .H755 2014
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Lincoln and the power of the press : the war for public opinion
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lincoln and the power of the press : the war for public opinion
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/AckToBbialA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/AckToBbialA/">Lincoln and the power of the press : the war for public opinion</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...