The Resource The house of twenty thousand books
- The house of twenty thousand books
- Statement of responsibility
- Sasha Abramsky
- Abramsky, Chimen, 1916-2010
- Antiquarian booksellers -- England | London -- Biography.
- Jewish historians -- England | London -- Biography.
- Abramsky, Miriam.
- Booksellers and bookselling -- England | London -- Biography.
- Abramsky, Miriam
- Book collectors -- England | London -- Biography.
- Abramsky, Chimen, 1916-2010.
- London (England) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
- Abramsky, Chimen, 1916-2010 -- Library.
- "The House of Twenty Thousand Books is journalist Sasha Abramsky's elegy to the vanished intellectual world of his grandparents, Chimen and Miriam, and their vast library of socialist literature and Jewish history. A rare book dealer and self-educated polymath who would go on to teach at Oxford and consult for Sotheby's, Chimen Abramsky drew great writers and thinkers like Isaiah Berlin and Eric Hobsbawm to his north London home; his library grew from his abiding passion for books and his search for an enduring ideology. The books, documents, and manuscripts that covered every shelf at 5 Hillway were testaments to Chimen's quest -- from the Jewish orthodoxy of his boyhood, to the Communism of his youth, to the liberalism of his mature years. The House of Twenty Thousand Books is at once the story of a fascinating family and chronicle of the embattled twentieth century. The House of Twenty Thousand Books includes 43 photos. "--
- Biography type
- collective biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A27 2015
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of The house of twenty thousand books
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The house of twenty thousand books
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/4tFRjwMax8I/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/4tFRjwMax8I/">The house of twenty thousand books</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...