The Resource The poet slave of Cuba : a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
- The poet slave of Cuba : a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
- Title remainder
- a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
- Statement of responsibility
- Margarita Engle ; art by Sean Qualls
- Juan Francisco Manzano was born in 1797 into the household of wealthy slaveowners in Cuba. He spent his early years at the side of his owner's wife, entertaining her friends. His poetry was his outlet, reflecting the beauty and cruelty of his world. Written in verse
- Coping in boys
- Cuba -- History -- 19th century
- Racism -- Poetry
- Slavery -- Cuba -- History
- Women slaveholders
- Slaveholders -- Poetry
- Cruelty in women
- Resilience (Personal quality)
- Books and reading
- Language arts -- Writers and poets
- Biographies -- Arts | Writing | Authors and illustrators
- Boy slaves -- Poetry
- Women with mental illnesses
- Biographies -- Identity | Hispanics and Hispanic Americans
- Americas Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature, 2006.
- International Reading Association Children's Book Award for Young Adult Nonfiction, 2007.
- Pura Belpre Award for Narrative, 2008.
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2008
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 2006
- YALSA Best Books for Young Adults, 2007
- YALSA Outstanding Book for the College Bound, 2009.
- Awards note
- A Junior Library Guild selection.
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- P64 2006
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of The poet slave of Cuba : a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The poet slave of Cuba : a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/3TFLCKRC90M/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/3TFLCKRC90M/">The poet slave of Cuba : a biography of Juan Francisco Manzano</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...