The Resource Lenin : the man, the dictator, and the master of terror
- Lenin : the man, the dictator, and the master of terror
- Title remainder
- the man, the dictator, and the master of terror
- Statement of responsibility
- Victor Sebestyen
- Revolutionaries -- Soviet Union -- Biography.
- Lenin, Vladimir IlÊ1ich, 1870-1924 -- Psychology.
- Lenin, Vladimir Ilʹich, 1870-1924 -- Biography
- Lenin, Vladimir IlÊ1ich, 1870-1924 -- Political and social views.
- State-sponsored terrorism -- Soviet Union -- History.
- Lenin, Vladimir IlÊ1ich, 1870-1924 -- Relations with women.
- Dictators -- Soviet Union -- Biography.
- Lenin, Vladimir IlÊ1ich, 1870-1924 -- Influence.
- Soviet Union -- Politics and government -- 1917-1936.
- "Since the birth of Soviet Russia, Vladimir Lenin has been viewed as a controversial figure, revered and reviled for his rigid political ideals. He continues to fascinate as a man who made history, and created the first Communist state, a model that would later be imitated by nearly half the countries in the world. Drawing on new research, including the diaries, memoirs, and personal letters of both Lenin and his friends, Victor Sebestyen's biography--the first in English in nearly two decades--is not only a political examination of one of the most important historical figures of the twentieth century, but a portrait of Lenin the man. Lenin was someone who loved nature, hunting, fishing and could identify hundreds of species of plants, a despotic ruler whose closest ties and friendships were with women. The long-suppressed story of the complex love triangle Lenin had with his wife, and his mistress and comrade, reveals a different character to the coldly one-dimensional figure of the legend. Sebestyen also reveals Lenin as a ruthless and single-minded despot and a 'product of his time and place: a violent, tyrannical and corrupt Russia.' He seized power in a coup, promised a revolution, a socialist utopia for the people, offered simple solutions to complex issues and constantly lied; in fact, what he created was more 'a mirror image of the Romanov autocracy.' He authorized the deaths of thousands of people, and created a system based on the idea that political terror against opponents was justified for the greater ideal. One of his old comrades who had once admired him said he 'desired the good ... but created evil.' And that would include his invention of Stalin, who would take Lenin's system of the gulag and the secret police to new heights"--
- Dictators -- Soviet Union -- Biography
- Revolutionaries -- Soviet Union -- Biography
- Russia -- Politics and government -- 1894-1917
- History writing -- Europe | Russia -- Communism
- Life stories -- Politics | Politicians
- State-sponsored terrorism -- Soviet Union -- History
- Soviet Union -- Politics and government -- 1917-1936
- New York Times Notable Book, 2017
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- S34 2017
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Lenin : the man, the dictator, and the master of terror
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lenin : the man, the dictator, and the master of terror
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/-R2_QWzI3Sk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/resource/-R2_QWzI3Sk/">Lenin : the man, the dictator, and the master of terror</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.dover.nh.gov/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.dover.nh.gov/">Dover Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Dover Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...